12:45 AM - Self Care vs. School

How do I do it? How do I simultaneously take care of myself and go to school? Is it possible for the two to exist within the same sphere? I am sure it is not impossible, but this is just something I have not yet figured out.
I could tell I had a problem when I found myself longing for my J(anuary)-Term break — in October. I made a list of all the ways in which I can practice self care during my break, when I actually have the time to do so. Then I caught myself. Why, I thought, is it so hard to take care of myself? Looking down at my list, I noticed that quite a few of these "self care things" were merely basic necessities: getting enough sleep, drinking enough water, etc. Why do I need to wait until January to begin treating my body with the basic kindness it needs in order to function properly? Must I really compromise my welfare for a good grade? The truth of the matter is that, when in school, I constantly feel as if I must choose between myself and my schoolwork, and the schoolwork wins just about every time; the demands of which being far too rigorous to ever take a backseat. There simply aren't enough hours in a day between work, school, more work, and homework. Where could there possibly be time for me?
May I just say, this piece is not some formulated, insightful lesson on how to balance the work and the self; I don't have a clue how to do that yet. By working through these thoughts, however, I am hopefully getting closer to uncovering this great mystery. It may take some time, but when I get there I'll let y'all know.

With love,
Rachel


Comments

Popular Posts